Founded on 6th February 1985, the Bangor and District Practical Rifle and Pistol Club has been in operation for over three decades and resides in the historic Vaynol Tunnels.
The club has continued to grow from strength to strength and today has a strong 200 mixed membership base: consisting of both men and women; all age ranges (including juniors); with different levels of abilities and expertise; and members from varied backgrounds.
Short History of the Tunnels
Vaynol tunnel, situated just to the south of Treborth Railway Station, was opened on 1st July 1852. The Bangor and Carnarvon Railway was originally as single track and so the single bore tunnel of 497yds was provided by the Vaynol Estate. In 1871, now part of the London & North Western Railway, authorisation was granted to double the line and adding a second bore, also of 497yds ,to the east of the original tunnel. This second bore became the ‘down’ line (Afon Wen direction) and the original tunnel the ‘up’ line (Menai Bridge direction).
Both tunnels remained in use until 1966 when the line between Menai Bridge and Caernarfon was singled. The line closed completely in January 1972 and the track was lifted shortly after. [Source: Les Fifoot and Paul Wright, 2017]
The southern portals of the Vaynol tunnel seen on 4 October 1952. The 11.20am Bangor to Pwllheli service had just passed through the 1871 bore. Photo by Bill Rear
Link to the site: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/treborth/index5.shtml